Smoothies are a perfect breakfast or snack for a busy family. But, not all smoothies are created equally. When making smoothies that sustain both you and your little ones, it’s key to include protein and healthy fats alongside the fruit and vegetables. This smoothie features protein-rich hemp seeds and chia seeds as well as pure coconut cream, a source of short-chain fatty acids that your body uses for energy immediately. Danielle’s recipe combines antioxidant-rich wild blueberries, cucumber and fresh mint leaves to transform a simple berry smoothie into a refreshing drink that will naturally add pep to your step. Make this recipe work for your family by adding more or less fruit, additional hemp seeds or coconut cream or even a few dates to increase the sweetness - the sky is the limit!
Refreshing Mint Berry Smoothie Bowls
- 2 c frozen wild blueberries, 1 cup thawed
- 1 1/4 c cucumber juice (approximately 1 medium sized cucumber plus ¼ cup water)
- 1/2 c frozen mango chunks
- 2 Tbs hemp seeds
- 1 Tbs coconut cream (scoop cream from full fat canned coconut milk)
- 1 Tbs chia seeds
- 2 tsp maple syrup or 2 dates soaked in hot water (optional)
- 1/2 tsp fresh mint leaves, packed
- In a high speed blender, blend cucumber (cut into large chunks) until juiced and no solid particles remain.
- Add remaining ingredients to blender and blend for 2-3 minutes until all ingredients, especially seeds are pureed.
- Chia seed with thicken ingredients as time passes so enjoy immediately or if you prefer a thicker bowl let chia stand for 5 minutes to absorb water and blend again.
Optional toppings for baby: cinnamon
Optional toppings for toddlers: cinnamon, sliced bananas, fresh berries
Optional toppings for adults: cinnamon, sliced bananas, fresh berries, granola, minced mint leaves, goji berries
For the ages
Fresh mint combined with wild blueberries is a fun, soothing combination to share with your baby!
PORTION SIZE: 1-2 tablespoons
INGREDIENTS: berry and mint smoothie
Mint and cucumber juice are naturally energizing and oh so yummy!
Dawn Winkelmann, M.S, CCC-SLP
SPEECH LANGUAGE PATHOLOGIST & FEEDING SPECIALIST FOR EZPZ
Dawn Winkelmann, a.k.a “Ms. Dawn”, has treated thousands of kids across the globe by helping families overcome picky eating stages and food refusals, while adding new foods into their diet. Her high success rate is attributed to Ms. Dawn bringing her education, experience, sense of humor and her favorite feeding products to the family dinner table.
You will find Ms. Dawn’s expert feeding advice to be positive and fun for the entire family! She adapts complicated feeding/swallowing research and makes it practical and easy for parents! Get ready to learn the science behind your favorite feeding products and ways to bring happy family mealtimes back!