Traditional homemade mac-n-cheese is creamy, comforting and oh so yummy, but it may leave your family feeling sluggish and sleepy. Mixing up your mac-n-cheese occasions with this recipe will keep your family (and their bodies) happy and begging for more! Danielle’s recipe features a new way to use broccoli and is loaded with heart-healthy fats from avocado and olive oil. Many people are unaware that broccoli offers much more than just fiber and vitamin K; these cruciferous florets contain protein and a healthy dose of vitamin A, C and folate. Mix the creamy green sauce into lentil pasta for a high protein meal or use zucchini noodles for a lighter version.
Decadent Green Mac-n-Cheese (avocado/broccoli based)
- 1 avocado pitted
- 1 1/2 C broccoli
- 1 basil or flat leaf parsley, or 1 C
- 3-4 garlic
- 1/2 C pine nuts (replace with ½ cup avocado for nut allergy)
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice about 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 C extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ Tsp. Celtic sea salt
- Black Pepper to desired taste
- 2 cups your favorite nutrient-dense noodle such as zucchini noodles or lentil pasta
- Rinse, chop & steam broccoli until fork tender (approximately 6-8 minutes).
- Prepare lentil pasta as directed or saute zucchini noodles in olive oil until tender.
- In a food processor, blend avocado, steamed broccoli, basil (or parsley), garlic, olive oil and pine nuts. Puree until smooth. Remove ¼ cup portion for baby.
- Add salt and lemon juice and puree again. Taste and adjust flavors as desired with additional sea salt, pepper or lemon juice - be sure to add in small increments.
- In large bowl, mix noodles & creamy green sauce. Serve warm!
Allergens: pine nuts
For the ages
This creamy dish provides your baby with a new way to enjoy brain boosting foods like broccoli and avocado!
You can serve this dish two different ways for your baby to enjoy! Use the mini mat to serve the green sauce as a “dip” alongside large lentil pasta shapes such as fusilli. Or, toss some pasta in green sauce to coat it and then serve a few pieces of plain lentil pasta and “green cheesy” pasta in a tiny mat. Let baby eat as much or as little as she wants. Remember this is a new flavor combination so if baby doesn’t take to it today, she may love it tomorrow!
For Babies: Traditional
Dawn Winkelmann, M.S, CCC-SLP
SPEECH LANGUAGE PATHOLOGIST & FEEDING SPECIALIST FOR EZPZ
Dawn Winkelmann, a.k.a “Ms. Dawn”, has treated thousands of kids across the globe by helping families overcome picky eating stages and food refusals, while adding new foods into their diet. Her high success rate is attributed to Ms. Dawn bringing her education, experience, sense of humor and her favorite feeding products to the family dinner table.
You will find Ms. Dawn’s expert feeding advice to be positive and fun for the entire family! She adapts complicated feeding/swallowing research and makes it practical and easy for parents! Get ready to learn the science behind your favorite feeding products and ways to bring happy family mealtimes back!